It is a new year! I am wishing you all a…..
There is so much pressure to perform better, faster, stronger and more efficiently in the new year. When I was in my twenties, I would write down all of these super-lofty “be perfect” goals the night before New Year’s eve. I would go out New Year’s eve with all the pressure of having the “best night ever!!” and try to have fun. The introvert in me wanted to stay in, but I felt that I would be seen as weird not wanting to go out, so out I would go. The next day, tired and hungover, I would take stock of my goals and the mediocre fun I had the previous night. And I would think- oh, oh no, is that a sign of the year to come? Is this NOT going to be the best year ever?? I believed in signs (I still do to some degree) and the whole “there is a larger plan by some universal energy” and would try to read the signs and figure out what fate had in store.
Now? Now I am okay doing nothing on New Year’s Eve. I am happy to cuddle up with my little family and just watch a movie and go to bed early. I have finally embraced the fact that I am introverted and sometimes feel like staying in, sometimes feel like reaching outside my comfort zone, and rarely feel adventurous. This year we had plans but they fell through when the kids felt sick. The kids actually went to bed early and Josh and I just made it past midnight-just. That was okay with me.
I also don’t read the signs as avidly as I used to. I do not wait for what fate has in store for me. I give fate a helping hand by being actively involved in what is coming to me. I don’t sit and stew about why this or that isn’t happening for me anymore (well, as much) and instead try to reach out and grab what I need. Sometimes it still doesn’t happen for me (or as quickly as I want it to since I am NOT patient), but I know that I tried my hardest and did my best. I know this is a giant cliche and I also know that I am not always as strong as this implies but I TRY now. I TRY as hard as I can to reach my goals. I try as hard as I can to rely on myself when need be but I also try to ask for help when I need it.
So what does 2017 have in store for me? Who knows! I do know that instead of resolutions I am going to outline hopes and I am going to outline some new activities I want to do before the end of the year.
Here are a few of them:
- Be more mindful: Stop rushing from task to task frantically. Be more mindful of each moment as a gift and be a better active listener (especially for my kids).
- Believe in magic: Do more with my tarot cards. Be more in awe of what my kids have accomplished. Laugh more and criticize myself less. Everything we can accomplish can be seen as everyday magic.
- Keep up with exercising and fix the gut: It’s going to be less about a specific exercise plan. I will exercise every day, but it will be whatever I feel I will enjoy that day. I will mix in BBG by Kayla Itsines, Zombie Run, yoga, a workout DVD, a dance party with the kids, Bad Witch Workout…..whatever my heart fancies that day. And I plan to try a few things to fix my gut, which should be an adventure.
- Create: I will journal more. I will write little creative stories just for me. I will write random memories. But I will write for 10 mins a day without fail. And I will craft more!
- Hopes: I will hope for my kids that they are healthy, happy and full of confidence. I will hope to be less cynical and judgemental. I will forgive more.
- Meditate: We will start meditating again as a family and I will also do it on my own since it helps to regulate our emotions and instills confidence and calm.
What are your hopes for 2017? I am trying to keep things low-key and realistic. Every year, I vow I am not going to buy into the new year’s resolutions list-making. But who am I kidding? Making lists is one of my most favourite things ever, so when would I pass up a chance to make a new one?
I am hoping for a prosperous, happy, safe and calm year for us all. XO
Share your resolutions below and we can compare!